SEI (Software Engineering Institute) adalah sebuah pusat riset di bidang software engineering, terutama yang berkaitan dengan: acquisition, architecture and product lines, process improvement and performance measurement, security, and system interoperability and dependability. Pusat riset ini berada di Carnegie Mellon University, sejak tahun 1984. Pusat riset ini menjadi ujung tombak berbagai inovasi teknis di bidang software engineering.
Ada 5 program teknis SEI, yaitu sbb:
- Through the Dynamic Systems Program, the SEI establishes and demonstrates methods for designing, integrating, evolving and sustaining systems using preexisting components. The Dynamic Systems Program also teaches software engineers how to specify and predict the performance, dependability, and interoperability of software-intensive systems while systems are being designed.
- The goal of the Product Line Systems Program is to enable widespread product line practice through architecture-based development. Product line practice involves engineering a set of software-intensive systems that share a common, managed set of features that satisfy the specific needs of a particular market segment or mission from a common set of core assets in a prescribed way.
- The Software Engineering Process Management Program at the SEI provides leadership to software-dependent organizations through proven, process-focused methods for improving product costs, schedule and quality. This program also manages the SEI’s work on the internationally recognized Capability Maturity Model Integration, a framework that helps organizations improve their processes enterprisewide.
- Building on the experience of the nationally recognized CERT Coordination Center, the Networked Systems Survivability Program develops and widely distributes information security practices and evaluation methods that enable organizations to protect their systems against security threats such as viruses and worms. The CERT/CC has recently formed a partnership with the Department of Homeland Security to create US-CERT, a coordination point for prevention, protection, and response to cyber attacks across the Internet.
- The Acquisition Support Program helps government agencies improve the way they acquire software-intensive systems, and provides opportunities for SEI programs to create and disseminate new technologies.
Kalau ingin berkenalan lebih lanjut dengan SEI, silahkan klik http://www.sei.cmu.edu